Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Gross Anatomy ... Lessons with my Nephew

I may get a lot of nasty responses from this post because I am going to discuss kids and bathing. WARNING: BODY PARTS WILL BE DISCUSSED in this blog. Proceed with CAUTION. And I don't know how the rest of the world does things, but when my kids are little they generally like to bathe together. 

Now my nearly 7 year olds have passed what I believe is the acceptable threshold for company in the tub, but  I thought that my 2 year old Miss Fabulous had another 2-3 years left of un-awkward bath times left in her.  WRONG!

My nephew who is almost 3, whom I refer to as "Brutus" is just that... a brute.  His size and personality fit this identity.  Brutus and Miss Fabulous always have wonderful adventures together and sometimes the best adventures happen at bath time.

Now mind you my kids don't see my nephews all the time. We live almost 4 hours away, but when they reunite during visits they are inseparable. Another useful fact is that my girls are rarely around boys. 

On a recent visit, Miss Fabulous and Brutus had  enjoyed a fun filled day of activity and messiness and I needed to bathe them.  Two birds one tub.  Simple and innocent... NO.

Brutus took to the water like a fish, and Miss Fabulous had to dip her toes in first to make sure the water was the appropriate ratio of not too hot, not too cold prior to entry.  Once in the tub both were sitting and I grabbed bubble bath and toys.  

It was at this moment that Miss Fabulous tilted her head sideways and precariously looked at Brutus in a whole new light.  She unashamedly pointed "there" and asked him "Hey.... what's thaaat?"  I won't get into the whole conversation of what Brutus told her because I don't know where the ethical lines are with kids and body parts.  But long story short he stood up and explained that "that" was something that he "pecked" things with.



And that was the day I decided boys and girls should never bathe together. No matter how old or young. Now please... don't get too offended or outraged... I look at this situation 3 ways.

(1).  Lesson learned for me: answer a question before my 2 year old nephew gives his version.

(2).  Teach kids about different body parts... young (preferably before they can speak).

(3).  Be glad that Izzie got the version she did, because the Twins heard a variation on the playground in Pre-K and were afraid to eat hot dogs for a month.

Oh and I guess here's an extra:

(4).  Don't take it too seriously.  At the end of the day... you sometimes have to laugh at the uncomfortableness that happens in life.


So from now on the adventures of Brutus and Miss Fabulous will remain OUTSIDE of the bathtub and in full wardrobe.  In the end... this opened the door to teaching Isabelle about the Genesis story, and importantly... THE VALUE OF A GOOD FIG LEAF.

"Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction."
1 Corinthians 10:11a. ESV

Laughing and learning on this adventure in motherhood, and taking all of the above into account.




No comments:

Post a Comment